Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mother's Day, or is it?

What makes a mom worthy on Mother's Day? Is it because she physically birthed the child? What about adoptive moms? Foster moms? Step moms? And all the other types of moms??

Are only good moms worthy? What makes a mom a good one? What if the kids are shitty? Are the moms still okay? And if the moms are shitty but the kids are great, what about then? 

I'm just not sure of this holiday. Why do we need one day out of the year that says 'You're a good mom!'? 

I'm sure it's along the same line as birthdays but personally, I think it's out of control. I mean, there's a National Sibling Day. Really? 

In our house, we try to make every day count. We attempt, with our words and actions, to show our appreciation for each other every day. 

I don't need a day to say I'm a good mom. Or that my wife is a good mom. Or even that my mom is a good mom. Hell, most of the time, I don't feel like a good mom at all. The kiddos aren't at fault for that though and I don't except them to put me on a pedestal today. 

Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way. But I think appreciation is something that is felt and shown every single day. You never know what will happen tomorrow. Why wait until that one day a year to tell someone you appreciate them? Whether it's today, Valentine's Day, Father's Day, Grandparent's Day, or whatever Day... 

I'm just saying lunch together shouldn't be an obligation. Sending flowers or giving gifts or making a meal or whatever it is that's only done on the holidays shouldn't be kept for just the holidays. Or done because you *have* to. 

Happy Mother's Day - all year long. Because even though these holidays are looked at like Christmas or birthdays, it's not like them at all. 

Moms, of all kinds, shapes, and varieties, are amazing. Love and be loved.